Battery doorbell powered, how quick does yours charge?

Folks,

I’m looking for battery doorbell users who have hardwired to a power supply and their experience.

I’ve just wired up a 18vac 800mA to my Eufy battery. It’s the first time I’ve wired it up and want to know how long it takes to charge it in terms of %. The eufy app doesn’t show how much power is being drawn.

I know these don’t like sitting at 100%.

I have a separate thread for my battery issue.

The battery will stop charging when it gets to 90% and suppose to then run off battery till it gets to 80% then charge back up to 90%.

Mine has been charging back up to 90% from 89%, 87%, 86% and 83% lately not sure why. So charges every 1 - 2 days. Don’t feel like battery doorbell will last long before the battery becomes unusable.

Was slow to charge first time wire it but after that it don’t take long to charge. It take bit longer if you are viewing live.

Like said before there are a lot of software bugs.

1 Like

Thanks Jon. What’s your power supply rating?

Sorry not sure. I’m in UK and used the old doorbell wire from fuse box. Think it’s between 12v and 24v.

Could always plug it into a smart plug that tell you how much power it’s drawing if your wire does not go to the fuse box.

I’m in the UK too. Got a Viivria 18v 800ma from amazon. Its a 3 pin power adaptor.

So you’re doorbell never gets to 100% on hardwired?

1 Like

No will never get to 100%. Others on this forum have said the same.

I did ask plugging it in and they said 18v and 24v are fine. I wanted to switch off via the fuse box and run off battery until very low but was advised against it.

1 Like

Why was it advised against it? I understand that it’s a slow charge but it should charge the battery up.

The my doorbell was at 92% and dropped to 91% after a minute of live view.

Will monitor this over the coming days.

Said it will effect the operation of the battery.

It should still drop to 80% before it charges again. Mine never gone above 90%.

1 Like

it hit 89% and the charger icon started animating showing charging. Hope it gets to 90% from a ALL night charger :roll_eyes:

I have the battery doorbell as well and the battery only last me ~25 days or so. I find I’m charging it more often than I’d like. Can you tell me what you bought and how you wired it to charge?

Have you got old doorbell wire or have to get a 18v or 24v transformer plug(UK). Drill hold in the wall and connect to doorbell & plug to power outlet. Can get off amazon.

I got this 18v 800mA one. The cable is quite short but it worked out for me.

I drilled a hole through the doorframe, fed the wire through, routed it along thr side of the French door window frame down to the carpet. Then took it around the other side of the door where I have a socket.
The one I got but too early to recommend

Hope it helps

Update for those interested in the thread.
Started the 2nd day with 92 % battery. Connected the transformer and it dropped to 89%. It then showed a animated charging indicator and over night went to 90%.

Jon described the same.

1 Like

I managed to measure the volts at the doorbell and it’s 18.4v with just in case anyone was wondering.

Something I notice is that when I plug a USB cable to charge the doorbell, I see the battery icon and a little charging thing next to it. Makes sense that it’s charging. That’s how it always has been in the past when it was plugged into the existing doorbell wires.

Now I notice that it just shows a Power plug icon instead. Does that mean it’s not charging or that it’s on power only mode and not using battery?

Confused on what that means.

Anyone else have this issue?

It’s the new app. It doesn’t show percentage anymore when wired except when you change modes.

Maybe that’s part of the update to the app. I haven’t tested the USB charging since I got the Transformer.

Maybe there is slight difference between iOS and Android.

One of the things I’ve noticed is that I don’t see cloud storage option in iOS.

In the latest iOS, if you switch modes, you see percentage but some one mention that on the latest Android you don’t see percentage at all.

Hello,

Ive bought a random 18v 800ma ac power adaptor from Amazon. I live in the UK and will be testing this next week.

Ive taken note of when the doorbell is suppose to charge (below 80%).

My only difference is that im using cat 6 to get to the doorbell. Will be combining the pairs though to compensate for the amount of voltage and amperage im sending down the copper (@23 AWG).

My Solar panel fiasco failed. I cant use an electrical spur from my alarm panel (it takes dc power that already transformed). So my cctv guy said i could use the ethernet cables from my old crappy doorbell.

Ethernet takes 40 something volts for poe so 18v should be fine for AC power. Its 0.8 ma so combining the cores should be ok for such a load. The voltage drop isnt much as its only 13 feet.

Wish me luck.