Camera accessibility

Is there a way to see a list of people who have access to your cameras? Can someone add themselves without you knowing if they have access to your equipment (cameras/base)?

1 Like

@rdbran As long as the equipment is under your usernameā€¦meaning you originally added the devices to your account, you have complete control of who has access to your homebases, cameras, etc.

Next would be to go to settings and check your Family and Guests page to see who you have given access to, if anybody. Also, there is a difference between Admin rights and Guest privileges. Make sure you know the differences.

No one else can just add your devices to their accounts without you initiating it (within the app). The only way someone can take your devices, is to reset them and add them to their accountsā€¦which would erase everything (videos included) from your account. So in essence, yes someone can steal one of your devices and start over with them. Hope this helps.

Its a good idea to keep a list of the model and serial number of your Eufy equipment in case someone walks off with some of it. That way, you could have support check and see if someone else adds the equipment to their account.

@pysailr That would be the best route in the interimā€¦but why should we have to report that as a consumer AFTER the fact?? Right now in theory youā€™d submit the serial number or specific information and they could see if itā€™s been registered to another account.

But why canā€™t Eufy add another layer of protection. Maybe once a device is registered for the first time with a user, it needs permission if it were to be setup on another account. I donā€™t see why they canā€™t integrate this somehow. Instead of being reactiveā€¦they should be proactive in this process.

I think they might run up against privacy and legal concerns in some jurisdictions. Not saying it wouldnā€™t be a nice feature, but Iā€™d rather they concentrate on improving some of the software/ hardware issues identified on this board rather than add a feature I might never need.

@pysailr Agreedā€¦thereā€™s a laundry list of other fixes that need to be addressed. However, having hundreds of dollars worth of equipment that can easily be stolen and reset within SECONDS for somebody to then recycle it without any issue from Eufy is a BIG security flaw and should be very concerning!!

Honestlyā€¦whatā€™s it matter if they fix all our issues if anyone can take your cameras without any consequence? As soon as the camera is reset and added to another homebase, individuals will lose all their video footage from that camera (yes, even that video of the event from the person who stole it in the first place, lol). The thief will just move on and use this equipment as if it were brand new. For those who know how these systems work, they can get away with it pretty easily. Yet this is a feature that you think most people wonā€™t need :thinking:?

My video from selected cams goes back to my NAS, so I donā€™t worry too much that I wonā€™t have video if someone makes off with my gear. Iā€™d rate the possibility of someone stealing my cameras as vanishingly small. If a thief is looking to steal something in my neighborhood, the fact I have several very visible cams will be enough to make him go down the road. Also, my cams arenā€™t in places that can be easily reached unless they bring a ladder and earplugs for the siren. So, I donā€™t believe I would consider the fact that camera can be swapped to another account as a big security flaw. I am pretty sure most of the other security vendors also have this same issue.

@pysailr Yes, the cameras can be deterrents and itā€™s great that you have NAS to backup your cameraā€™s footage. Itā€™s even better that your cameras are in tough places to reach. But it still doesnā€™t solve the issue that these devices can easily be reset within seconds. So I guess Eufy should suggest that everyone set their cameras exactly how you have them to avoid these security concerns, lol.

Iā€™m guessing others like Ring, Arlo, Wyze may have the same problems. And if thatā€™s the case, itā€™s an issue within the software for all these ā€œsecurityā€ devices no matter the manufacturer. They just havenā€™t addressed it as a wholeā€¦and maybe itā€™s because people are not aware of it and/or it hasnā€™t been a larger issue. However, that could always change, especially the more popular these devices become. Thus the reason why I mentioned they should be more proactive than reactive.

It reminds me about smartphones in the past. Thereā€™s a reason why stealing them today is not what it use to be years ago. Because companies have addressed this through their software updates and phones become pretty useless without the correct credentials and become bricked devices. This is my feelings with these type of wireless battery cameras and the direction the companies should consider.

I totally get itā€™s not a big concern for your setup, but IMHO itā€™s something that should be addressed someday in the future. In the meantime, weā€™ll disagree about the importance of this flaw.