Doorbell Overheating

I just installed my doorbell a week ago with battery power. I live in AZ and we hit the high 99 this week. My unit is facing East and this morning it over heated and shut down. Current temp 88 Fahrenheit. This is not going to be good scenario as summer progresses. Solutions?

2 Likes

Yikes! Is that in direct sunlight? It might be dangerous because they are black and those batteries are no joke.

2 Likes

Thank you for reacing out! @1034

So sorry to learn this issue with your battery doorbell.

For the Video doorbell/camera, please noted that the operating temperature range is from -4°f (-20°C) to 122°F (50°c).

We always suggest keeping away from the white wall and direct sunlight, so the video quality won’t overexposed. This is the first time we received the overheating issue, if possible, could you please send us an email to support@eufylife.com so we can further assist you?

In this case, could you please send us some photos of your install environment so we can have the engineering team look into this case for you?

Thank you so much for your patience. Looking forward to getting you taken care of as soon as possible!

1 Like

I actually had mine replaced for the same issue back in March on case 16420227 and sent the old unit back. Curious if the engineers found anything?

It was only about 70 degrees outside the day it happened to me and hasn’t been a problem with the new one so far.

2 Likes

I’ve had the same problem! And I live in BUFFALO, NY. It’s been upper 80’s, but my unit only gets direct sunlight for the last couple of hours of the day. What’s up with the unit? I love the product, but I can’t be the only person With a Eufy doorbell whose house faces west. What’s up Eufy? Also, why not make it in white? Then your entire lineup of security products would be white.

3 Likes

I just had a similar issue twice this past week in north Alabama. Mine did not turn off but sent an overheating notification around 5pm when my front door is in direct sunlight (west facing). It was in the low 80s so it is going to get a lot hotter this summer.

1 Like

Thanks for your sharing.

We are really sorry for the inconvenience occurred. This notification is because of that the doorbell temperature is higher than the ambient temperature due to the continuous direct sunlight. At this time, although the product can still be used in this ambient temperature, the product itself will still alarm if its temperature exceeds.

Also, the doorbell will continue to maintain the monitoring and recording function, but in order to avoid continuously raising the temperature, it will be temporarily unable to view until the temperature drops.

In this case, may I trouble you to use some covering for the doorbell to avoid direct sunlight?

Please feel free to reach out support@eufylife.com so we can have the engineering team to look into this case for you.

Remember your satisfaction is our top priority and we will be sure to resolve the issue for you.

Best regards,

4 Likes

I have the same problem. The doorbell faces west and gets direct afternoon sun. It’s 83 degrees right now and it is alerting about overheating. Do the engineers have a suggestion for how to cover the doorbell to avoid direct sunlight? I have seen a Ring “hood” advertised on Etsy that someone made to provide shade.

Thanks,

Jack

2 Likes

Happened to me today in the UK

About 24 degrees Celsius.

2 Likes

I’m thinking it needs some sort of white metal housing with large (ish) holes on the front to allow the lens at buttons to be exposed. An anti theft housing that you couldn’t grab from the sides, with holes in the back you could screw it to the door frame or wall (adding the wedge if needed) and then insert the doorbell up through the bottom and click it into place.

Or

Get some decals that could stick over the front to stop it being all black and attracting the heat.

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue. East-facing front door and the doorbell is overheating at 82F in direct sunlight.

2 Likes

Same here in St. Paul, MN. We can’t be having an overheated battery at the entrance to a home overheating in 80 degree weather… This seems like a large oversight to the design. Is there some shrouding that can be provided?

2 Likes

I just got this alarm today myself. It’s 90 or so out, but it will be getting a lot hotter. If it’s alarming now, I think I will return it, because it really isn’t that hot yet here in TX. The camera is on a west facing wall in direct sunlight. There’s no other place to install it that makes logical sense, and any kind of cover or shrouding will be unattractive for the front door.

3 Likes

Hey @Jack_Stalnaker Thank you for reaching out.

So sorry to learn the issue with this case.

In order to better assist you, please provide the your order information to support@eufylife.com. We will try our best to get you taken care of within 24 hours.

3 Likes

Mine has happened again. It has happened about 4 times in just over a week. It would have been more but we have had some overcast weather. I tried using cardboard to create shade but it would be very large to avoid interfering with the video function. Here are some images but I will be contacting Eufy Support as well.

3 Likes

I think this is a firmware issue / install issue. I took mine off once it overheated, warm but was definitely not hot. Even when I get the error the camera is still functions normally. Just out of curiosity is anyone getting the message that isn’t using existing doorbell wires ?

3 Likes

Mine is wireless and I’ve had the message once. I kind of panicked and covered it with white paper until sunset.

Weather hasn’t been as hot since (Wales, UK)

2 Likes

So much for that theory, I was thinking it has to do with being hooked up to original transformer and bell. I get the message once - twice a day but was able to check yesterday and it wasn’t hot at all to the touch.

2 Likes

Yes i got the message and I don’t use it wired. Still on battery power.

1 Like

Mine isn’t wired either. Battery only.

3 Likes