Doorbell Overheating

Yeah, I just got a notice that mine was overheating… I installed it 3 days ago, and this is the first notice… mine gets direct sunlight in the late afternoon/ evening… it’s only in the low 80’s outside today but the sun is hot… my door gets hot in the summer in the evening… not sure if there is anything I can do about this… I guess I am most worried about the long-term life of the doorbell. Will this be bad long term? I guess I am not too worried about losing some time of inactivity

3 Likes

Same issue here, I live in Southern California and it gets hot, I mean it’s a doorbell, think it’s kind of ridiculous if they don’t expect a doorbell to get any sunlight. I had a ring in the exact same spot for over 2 years, if this is going to be an ongoing issue than I may have to return the doorbell.

3 Likes

Same here im in las vegas. Temp out side is 82. I got a notification that the doorbell is over heating. It get mornings sun as well but the cameras are good. I have one on the East side too. I think the doorbell needs to be white. I might paint it.

2 Likes

I got the message im not using existing wires. Gets las vegas morning sun 9 am 82 degrees outside. Doorbell is working. Cameras are good but are white. I might paint the doorbell white.

2 Likes

Engineers dont like to be told there is a problem and the will jus make anew design so the company can make more money.

1 Like

Has to be a software bug as some people have said that they have checked and the doorbell is not even warm.

1 Like

This is ridiculous rated for 122 degrees but is having problems at 75 to 85 degrees from what i see in the complaints . I felt this would be a problem once i saw the doorbell is black. That is why i got the white cameras. I have a white eufy camera in just about the same spot gets the same sun the camera has no issues. You need to make a white covering or skin for free for the battery doorbell.

3 Likes

I just got this alert for the first time after having my doorbell installed for about a month. It faces East, but it’s only 71° outside. I don’t want to have to take my doorbell off every morning, especially once it actually gets warmer outside later in the summer.

3 Likes

Good news is that apparently it is only a firmware issue, from Eufy
“We are so sorry to say that the current design of overheating message is unreasonable, and it is falsely pushing the message before the product has real overheating issue, Try to resolve it, we will do our best to modify the current firmware as soon as possible. Would you mind waiting for about 3 weeks?”

3 Likes

Been trying to buy one. After reading this thread, now I’m not so sure
For the love God, it’s a doorbell. If it can’t handle occasionally high temperature like 50 Celsius, it’s faulty in its design.

2 Likes

I deleted my post as I didnt realise it appeared a couple of messages up this thread to say the false notifications was a bug, where I thought it appeared in a different post altogether :grin:

2 Likes

I’m also from the Netherlands :sunglasses:. It’s an exceptional hot day today (30 °C). Installed the Eufy doorbell 36 days ago. We received the doorbell ‘overheating’ message for the first time just now…

Currently 27 degrees c in South Wales

It would reall be good if anyone having this issue has a thermal camera like a flir and could take some images while it ia happening. That could point right to where the heat is. That may make it the cause very obvious.

I would suspect since all of these events seem to be related to direcet sunlight that it is about the black outer case. That will make a big difference on how it absorbs solar heat.

been installed 3 weeks and just gave message doorbell overheated I checked the temp and it’ 32 degrees hear in Manchester This should not be happening.

Also Netherlands here got the same overheating warning. It should not be happening, the doorbell was in a shadow of a sunscreen

1 Like

Hello Holland here also. I’ve had it for 7 days now. When I got home tonight I smelled a burnt smell at the front door. have not yet had reports of overheating.

1 Like

Guys, seriously. It doesn’t matter what the AIR temperature is. That’s like saying “It’s only 80 degrees. I’ll leave my dog in the car!” It’s a black box. In the sun.

Just put up the battery powered with wired connection on July 1st. Besides me messing with it the only real notification i have gotten has been about overheating. Is this thing lemon? I gets some sun but can it really not handle the elements? Thinking of returning, any word on this magic update?

Oh boy, one day in and my southwest facing battery doorbell gave the overheating notice. Had to cover it with a white towel. Waiting to see if my West facing unit will do the same as the day progresses. Temp is 93F/34C. The direct sun on a black unit is the issue. I’ve now seen issues mentioned with other brands as well. A white unit could help. Might be returning everything.