Eufy Cam 2K Indoor Pan&Tilt for HomeKit Secure Video: Camera stops working if all direct outgoing connections from the cam to the internet are blocked. Why? It's not needed with HKSV

Hello Eufy team,

I have noticed that the Eufy Cam 2K Indoor Pan & Tilt will stop working quickly if I block all outgoing traffic to the internet in my firewall.

Please explain why this is happening.

• Since I am using HomeKit Secure Video to store recordings, as well as a local SDcard and I do not plan to use any other cloud hosting there is no need for the camera itself to have any direct internet access in my day-to-day use.
    — No Eufy cloud infrastructure needed.

• To stream the live feed to other devices on my local network via LAN or wifi no direct internet access of the camera is needed.
    — Again, no Eufy cloud infrastructure needed.

• To access the live feed from outside my network a VPN tunnel to my network should suffice.

• All motion detection is done by the HomeKit Hub.

• All presence detection is done by the HomeKit Hub and all necessary location tracking of users is done by the regarding Home app on the mobile devices to derive whether to toggle the camera on/off accordingly.

• The only outgoing connection should be from the HomeKit Hub (a stationary iPad) to the iCloud storage to host the encrypted HomeKit Secure Video.

Sure, once in a while the camera needs direct internet access itself for firmware updates. On those fairly rare occasions the firewall block could temporarily be lifted with ease.

Furthermore why is an account needed at all in conjunction with exclusive use as a HomeKit Secure Video camera?
After installing the Eufy app at the bottom of the login screen a so called “HomeKit Portal” is offered as an alternate option. However, for the Eufy Cam 2K Indoor Pan&Tilt it just states “coming soon”. According to reports and testimonials of other users this has been there since mid July 2020.

When will it be possible to directly add the camera via HomeKit/the Home app without needing an Eufy account and permanent outgoing direct internet access of the camera?

Thanks a lot in advance.

1 Like

Could someone from the support team chime in instead of ignoring the questions?

They won’t answer. I am finding that some settings in the Eufy app affect HK operation, which should not be the case. Should be independent.

I want to know the answer to this also. I see outgoing data from the eufy homebase2 to an IP address 10.5.0.2 outside my network….

Support doesn’t monitor this board. It’s a user community. If you need support or have questions you can’t get answered by experienced users, contact Eufy support.