Events are not being recorded

Iā€™ve only had the system for a week and working well until this morning when nothing has been recorded. Iā€™ve restarted the home base multiple times and restarted my phone. Why is the system reliant on the servers when I havenā€™t opted for cloud?

1 Like

Same here my doorbell is not recording since 5:21 p.m today Iā€™ve reset and still no recording Iā€™ve even updated on the app and still it does not fix this issue itā€™s on eufy server this need to be fixed immediately itā€™s having issues for all of us on Halloween when we need our recording to work frowning sad and now I do not feel safe.

Why is the system reliant on the servers when I havenā€™t opted for cloud?

Itā€™s pretty much standard practice for smart devices (e.g. Homebase) to smartphone app connection to go through the cloud servers, instead of directly through Wifi. This is why most providers also store the video in the cloud.
Now, from all possible designs, the event list is at least processed in the cloud and possibly more.
So, perhaps you thought itā€™s all local, but itā€™s not.

Started to get 3 newer events in my event list, but the ā€œprocessingā€ spinny is taking unusually long to complete and multiple events still donā€™t show up, are possibly lost.

Nothing local should be going to the ā€œcloudā€ except authentication. Recording of events to the Homebase shouldnā€™t need ā€œcloudā€ access beforehand.

I wouldnā€™t be surprised they got comprised again.

3 Likes

Looks like itā€™s true: missing events suddenly show up. But, at least to present the event list in your phone, some cloud servers are necessary. This also explains why multiple folks noticed the problem at the same time.

I spent the last hour debugging my new Homebase 2 + 2 cameras system. Fortunately it is still within the return-for-refund window. I think Iā€™ll send it back and get a Logitech Circle Cam instead. At least Appleā€™s HKSV system has higher uptime and a Status page.

This will likely be fixed today or tomorrow.

Still shitty programming IMHO.

If my device can access the Homebase locally then there is no need to hit the cloud, else hit the cloud.

Going through the cloud is pretty typical, even among large players. A more unusual approach is a direct connection.
There are many reasons for this, mainly security and competing standards. IMHO, this is a reasonable approach. In any case, to get a smartphone notification you must use the cloud, so by definition this system relies on the cloud. To get an event list when you are away, you must also use some external servers.

Donā€™t know why Eufy cannot have a ā€œStatus Pageā€, somewhere?
ā€¦ then we can all see if there are issues and know they are working on itā€¦

The silence is deafening !!!

:slight_smile:

(BTW, I am getting recordings dropping in slowly, but hours late now)ā€¦

1 Like

Yeah ā€¦ not really. Their advertising says that everything is kept private and stored locally. There shouldnā€™t be ANY cloud involved.

1 Like

They donā€™t pay attention to this forum. You have to contact support directly to get anywhere.

It is stored locally. Thereā€™s no contradiction.

Could it be fixed now? I wonder :slight_smile:

Yes, it pretty typical. But this is unique situation whereas all events are presumably recorded to the homebase first then sends the info to cloud so it can send a notification to the app. The app should be smart enough to determine that if the homebase is reachable or not and go from there. That was the whole selling point to the homebase to be free of the cloud.

Last night before this event I notice a lag when viewing and retrieving events, again this shouldnā€™t happen if everything is stored locally.

There have been times where my internet was down and I couldnā€™t even access any events. Not acceptable for a ā€œsecurityā€ product if it 100% relies on the internet to view recorded events.

2 Likes

It canā€™t be free of the cloud:

1. When you leave home, your devices become unreachable without the cloud. You still want to view events / cameras.
  2. To get a notification on a smartphone, even if you are home, you need the cloud as well as Google / Apple services to be used.

IMHO, your expectation is a ā€œhigh barā€ that probably no other similar device achieves. However, I think you are looking at this the wrong way. Instead, you should be asking about possible attacks and security vulnerabilities

Dude, I never said it needs to be completely free of the cloud.

Stay focusedā€¦ What Iā€™m saying that if Iā€™m in my own house the app should not be looking to the cloud to get and display events recorded on my Homebase. Access to the Homebase events and camera settings should from my home not be predicated on having internet access and/or access to Eufy servers. Homebase should be smart enough to update the cloud when the server issues have been resolved.

Last night we were all getting notifications but none of the events were showing, even events that were prior to 10/31 were missing.

You are welcome to your opinion. You did not explain whatā€™s the security benefit, if at all, especially that you canā€™t be alerted on your phone in such a scenario and when other solutions have a similar property.

Itā€™s pretty simple ā€¦ If your video has to go out to their servers, only to come back to your own device, how is that more secure than simply saving your video directly to your device using the wifi itā€™s already connected to.

Itā€™s not. Itā€™s actually LESS secure. Now, an attacker has two attack vectors instead of just one if they want to compromise your system. #1) is via accessing Eufys servers, and #2) is via accessing your home unit.

Lastly ā€¦ Any ā€œCloudā€ services required to access your cameras and video remotely should only be a thin authentication layer that connects your home devices from behind a firewall to your mobile device. That is not the same as cloud storage.

I host streaming media services from behind my home firewall which I can access anywhere, but it doesnā€™t require a ā€œCloudā€ service to connect to it. The only reason to use a public website is to provide access to my service hosted on a dynamic IP address.