Full Resolution RTSP Stream from Indoor Cam 2K

It would be great if the RTSP stream from the Indoor Cam 2K and the Indoor Cam 2K Pan & Tilt utilized the full 2304x1296 resolution rather than being down scaled to 1080p,
If 1080p is the max resolution possible over the RTSP protocol, then less compression would be a big help as the current stream looks pretty bad.

Also I would love to see a low resolution substream offered.

I do want to complement eufy on knocking audio out of the park. The microphone on the 2K indoor camera produces the best audio I’ve heard from any camera at this price point or even well above.

Thanks!

13 Likes

This 1000%.

I was kind of suprised and disappointed to see the stream was only 1080 and of lower clarity then the mobile version. Some higher bitrates would be real nice for us folks that have the option to use a external server. Let me decide how fast i want to fill my disk. A low bit-rate substream would help in a bunch of scenarios to.

The RTSP protocol maxes out at 1080P. You’d need to switch to ONVIF or something for more.

The 1080P artifacting is pretty bad though. Should be better!

1 Like

The question is can the camera be updates to support onvif. Preferably if that is the only option to get full resolution then it qould be the prefered method for external nas software connectivity.

3 Likes

Yeah, the bit rate is too low for the rtsp stream, the clarity is severely affected

2 Likes

Yes, request that ONVIF support be added to all 2K cams so that full 2K resolution can be sent to NAS devices.

Do you have an example video?

We were very disappointed to cancel all 12 of our wireless cams and our 6 indoor cams on the subscription service when the resolution auto downgraded to 1080p. Something with the protocol itself having that limitation. Super not happy with that at all.

Hello, I received an answer from the german eufy support. They are stating, that the low resolution in RTSP stream is due to the NAS and therefore this won’t change in the near future. Can anyone confirm this? I still think the lower resolution is coming from the camera.

I can’t seem to find any limitation in the spec to 1080. can you point to where that limitation arises?
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7826

@patrickrobbins You’ll need to search deeper than that in the RFCs. First, they use RTSP 1.0 (2.0 is not backwards compatible, and I think both specs still require a media format to be specifidd). Second, it depends on the media format (it currently uses RTP/AVP afaik instead of ONVIF).

There is a format parameter (called fmt) which can be something like 1, 2, 3, 720, or 1080. Any higher than that and you need to switch to ONVIF.

@Christian_FEININGER They are spouting bullshit. My NAS supports any resolution. They’ve chosen not to support ONVIF. If they allow the resolution to go higher than 1080 in the fmt specifier (even if it is against the spec) without ONVIF, some software (not all) would support it. They could do that under an experimental settings block if they really wanted…

1 Like

I just got a Eufy 2k camera and will be taking it back due to the quality of the RTSP stream. I am less worried about the 1080p although I was thinking I was getting a 2k camera, but the low rtsp bitrate makes it pretty much unusable with Blue Iris or a NAS even at 1080p.

The Bitrate of the single Eufy stream is right at about 30kB/s where my 5 Reolink cameras are coming into the server at 780kB/s without any issue. With the Roelink you can configure it from 128kB/s to 1024kB/s on the main stream and from 8kB/s to 64kB/s on the sub stream. So the only Eufy RSTP stream is about half of what the Reolink Substream is and not even close to the primary stream. For the extra $10-15 the quality difference is a lot.

1 Like

I can get an RTSP stream from my Reolink cameras that is 2560x1440 and that camera is definitely not ONVIF compatible. I can also get an RTSP stream from a Dahua camera I have that is 3072x2048. However that camera IS ONVIF compatible, but I’m able to connect to it through RTSP and get that full-size stream in VLC. There are plenty of places online that show people doing the same. I can also make a 4K stream through Open Broadcaster Server and use an RTSP plugin to output a 4K RTSP stream.

So the max resolution of RTSP is not 1080P. It might be for Eufy’s specific implementation (1.0), but I guess 2.0 can definitely go higher.

You are correct. The current RTSP spec supports higher resolutions. Eufy only implemented v1.0 of RTSP, so 1080p is all you get. I expect they want to drive people to their cloud service so it probably won’t get changed.

This 1000% too. The rtsp stream is compressed to hell. Having a less compressed stream would be a huge improvement. Having a 2k stream would be ideal.

I agree,as I got sick fed up waiting on eufy to come out with this “promised” Windows App and even then, the 2k camera is not always 2k many clips are 1080p and the bitrate and framerate makes it look horrid.

So, I set it up on PC and found in this mode it is 1080p and default is 10FPS, but I did get one app that I could change it to the full 15FPS but quality isa poor

I have no clue why our 2k indoor cameras only have 15FPS but if on apple they get higher.

Quote:

" What is eufy Indoor Cam 2K’s FPS at the highest resolution? eufy Indoor Cam 2K has 15 FPS when using the eufySecurity app . On the other hand, eufy Indoor Cam 2K has 24 FPS when using Apple’s Home app."

This could be addressed by not using such old codecs and instead using an up-to-date format like AV1 which has the best compression rate possible (meaning higher quality at smaller filesize).

Duplicate discussion:

I don’t know what people are talking here RTSP has no limitation 1080p or whatever…

Reolink 12 mp is RTSP with that resolution.

Onvif is a smart protocol used for auto discover and auto config.

Never over 1080p with LiVe recording. and download continuos clips.

Only time I get 2k is from Events. How does Eufy make it 2k?