Link a motion sensor to your doorbell to enhance the battery life | Security Made Simple

If those settings had any effect on the PIR sensor I would not be getting 1500 detections a week. Or do you think I have that many visitors? Now that wouldn’t be very covid clever would it?

1 Like

I’ve turned my sensor off as it trigged far too often, I have a remote sensor above which annoyingly triggers the camera to watch us leave home! That hasn’t been triggered for a while either, just on bin days! So it’s only the postman that sets it off.

This is exactly what I want to know. It says to test it to disable motion, but then does that imply you can turn the cam motion back on afterwards, in my view its only a proper integration if the doorbell can use the pir to supplement its existing detection to make it faster, but not if it replaces it entirely. Ill buy one if it does supplement it. I’ll also hardwire it if that speeds up the average detection time.

I think I already know the answer to this - but would the motion detector work through glass. I could put one in my porch and have it point though the window. But I suspect it wouldn’t work

I agree. Our doorbel has to be charged every week. And it records everything walking or driving by on the street. It does not record as soon as someone walks in my driveway. It starts when they are already walking away.

I’ve tried a PIR stand-alone motion sensor in my enclosed double-glazed porch but it doesn’t register any movement outside. I want a motion sensor to link to Alexa, which can turn on all my outside lights if motion is detected between (say) midnight and 6am; when the lights are on, the 2K doorbell camera works fine but when the lights are off it rarely detects motion after dark, even with infra-red on.

The Eufy doorbell camera system isn’t quite smart enough - I’ve been able to link a doorbell press to Alexa and turn on the smart LED rope light that runs round the eaves of my house, including a time-of-day restriction, but for some reason Eufy haven’t provided a way of linking a motion event into Alexa even though it alerts my phone.
I’m still looking for a discreet smart outdoor motion sensor that will link directly either to Alexa or to my Smart Life system without needing yet another hub.

I have set this up today. I already know it’s going to save the battery life as it isn’t detecting if I open my front door and just checking the mail box. It will only trigger a recording if someone crosses the path of the motion detectior. I’ll give an update in a few weeks to see if it’s all that it claims. I have noticed a delay in the notifications on my phone and watch, which maybe an issue.

So this was working for 4-5 days, but now the motion sensor stopped working. Any suggestions?

I really don’t get why so many complaints about this product, I have it for quite some time now and after spending so much in trying other brands this one it’s simply great that’s why I believe that ppl don’t know how to setup the doorbell as mine werk perfectly and the battery lasts for 4 to 6 months.

This was my solution, I have a 2 Pro facing the driveway, which enables recording on the doorbell once motion is detected.

Hi Nclingo, thanks for your write-up off using a motion sensor with the video doorbell. I’m considering doing what you did as I’ve been getting some false notifications with lots of variations in the motion settings.

My question is, if you have something like a climbing creeper along side the front wall which overhangs a bit with lots of leaves and general front garden flowers/bushes that may sway in the wind, does the motion sensor work better than the doorbell? My guess is these things set the doorbell off by accident? Thanks.

You can turn it back on, if so desired.
I did.

Agreed! My driveway is 30+ meters removed from my front door and facing a busy street, a waterproof option would be the best (budget friendly) solution instead of adding another camera solely to detect movement.

If motion sensor is placed on a perfect spot, you can turn motion detection on doorbell off. This will be a considerate battery safer. I turned it off yesterday, especially now with freezing temperatures.
Hope this helps. Merry Christmas!

Wow, I didn’t know any of they door bells had such short battery life. Mine lasts for months without a charge. I do, however, have a huge problem with false triggers due to my door facing a busy sidewalk so I’m really eager to try this tip to cut down on false triggers as I’ll have much more flexibility positioning the external motion sensor.

My doorbell sends over 50 alerts to my phone per day. Even though most are triggered by the household we still have plenty of battery life. And only charge every month as routine and not because it’s very low. I personally don’t need the sensor to add range or anything.

1 Like

Not for long … Eufy did not react to this forum for more than one year :-((

Eufy doesn’t monitor this forum. Once in a while, they will post some tips and tricks, but that’s it. The Mods are all volunteers, not Eufy employees. This is a user forum where users can share their experiences with Eufy gear.

Yeah, i like there products also. What makes me disappointed though is that Eufy keeps refusing to make a external siren for there home alarm system. The siren is now played through the homebase. The volume of the sirene would have a thief chuckle and go on. Please Eufy, make an external siren.

This is one way of preserving battery life. Actually, as for the cameras, it should be possible to connect the doorbell with a eufy solar panel. This results in no worries about battery life. :crazy_face: