Major Flaw - Delete Homebase data via camera

As much as I hate to say this… you are dead cold … correct.

Mine arrived today in the post, I live in the Uk, now I’ve saw this thread mine will be going back.

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

so news from Anker officiels, no New firmware on cams ???

I got a message back from Angela, the manager of customer support last week. This was in response to my escalation of the reply I received to my original ticket. The first response I got said they were working on a firmware fix, but it sounded to me like they might not have looked closely at the test results I sent.

So, I sent the escalation with suggestions on how to fix the overall problem. I was worried that they were going to respond with a firmware fix that wouldn’t address the whole issue.

Angela’s response made me feel better about where they are going with the fix. They are having another brainstorming session to see if it’s possible to prevent the Sync button from removing the device without some kind of confirmation from the account admin. Also, they seemed to think it was possible to keep any clips that were associated with the device even if it was removed.

All in all, it sounds like they are going in the correct direction and actively pursuing a fix. I also made the point that they need to commnicate better with their customers regarding issues like this. Silence from the company or working by design responses don’t cut it.

10 Likes

Thank you for your feedback and I agree they need to be better at communicating, even to us moderators as I had brought this up multiple times and was given the silent treatment. As for the last thread on this subject I was edditing a post and didn’t mean to close the thread so sorry about that. Hopefully they can be more transparent going forward

4 Likes

Good timing for me to join this forum, with my purchase of a 4-2C kit & a 2k doorbell less than a week ago.

Keeping the box to return this if it’s not resolved within my 30-days.

I’ve been putting off wireless surveillance for years due to the tech “just not being there yet” and thought I’d found the right solution, after tens of hours of research & reading of reviews.

This vulnerability is just way too easy to exploit. Eufy, I can’t believe you didn’t run across this type of scenario during initial UAT.

Much as I was trying to avoid “the big players” to keep my privacy & no required monthly fees, that’s what I will likely be doing. Lose a bit of privacy & monthly wallet-share, but gain the knowledge that their security products are fully-vetted, tested & robust; designed for the use cases we buy these for.

2 Likes

Well, how I am pleased I came across this forum. After many months investigating and rejecting wireless battery cctv cameras and systems ,my favourit and top of the list is the Blink system ,until I found that their camera videos do not embed a date & time (useless for police to take positive actions. Then I came across the EUFY systems and my eyes lit up. and I wondered why their current offer for their 2C two camera system was whilst stocks last.Then I came across this debate and has convinced me not to purchase at the present time for what is a basic flaw that should never have got through its development period.If EUFY has said they should get a firmware update to rectify this defect in a month or two suggeststs this won’t happen on their current despatched kits.? I won’t be holding my breath.Never the less when this is updated and I’m sure it will I will be buying this system as there is nothing on the market at the moment that comes near it in performance and ease of setup…

2 Likes

For the sake of fairness, I feel I should point out that other than the main issue in this thread and the poor response from Eufy in terms of a solution, I was actually really happy with the product.

I’ve already commented above on the customer service and the obvious security flaw is something that just cannot be overlooked, but the product quality, ease of installation, intuitive app, no monthly fees, excellent price point etc. are all reasons I would have recommended this camera system. If Eufy can manage to sort these 2 issues out, then I would certainly consider their products again, however, as things stand I am now regularly advising people to avoid Eufy, as I imagine everyone who reads this thread will also be doing. The longer this goes on the more damaging it will be to Eufy’s reputation.

@preset any further response on the firmware updates? It’s been a month since my initial post and it feels like it’s not being taken that seriously at the moment.

Perhaps if someone were to post a review on Youtube pointing out the flaw it might get things moving…:thinking:

3 Likes

I posted Eufy’s response on 3/21 in this thread for those who care to read it. After some back and forth they appear to be working on a fix for this problem.

6 Likes

Well it could be missing the firmware update for this reset problem but compare it to the promised nearly a year agoupgrade /update from EUFY ( Coming soon)to the Homebase 2 regarding the ability to be able to plug in an external USB storage. This requires to be a pure storage so that you can view all the clips on a PC.They are still saying (coming soon) on the Homebase2 currently on sale at Amazon.

2 Likes

Any news on their “work to fix it” after more than 1 month?

2 Likes

Some of my eufycams got a firmware update (why not all?) .
Is there a placé where i can find the changelog of this new firmware ?

I find that this eufycams are good work but the eufy communication is horrible…

Hello, are that any update about that issue? I bought a set of cameras/sensor and I just read about that while I am waiting the delivery…Thank you all!

Still no news from an official eufy employee ???

@Xalean I’m sure their engineer team is working diligently to fix this issue!!

Yes, the same “engineer” team that didn’t question or thoroughly think about this HUGE security flaw in the first place, lol. :joy:

Just got an Email back from Eufy support that I can not see any footage lf the EufyCam 2Pro gets stolen or Destroyed?
Is this true??
So if someone steals my Bike from my driveway and steals my cam aswell or just slams it with hammer, I dont have any footage of that incident??
Isn’t that the point of having a security cam?

I’m aware that if the Homebase 2 gets stolen, the footage is gone… But if the Cams which are mounted outside are stolen, I can not whatch that footage??

2 Likes

@peter_klaus12 Yes, 100%. All it takes is for anyone to hit the reset button for 10 seconds and you lose everything on that camera. This issue was brought up back in January. Supposedly, Eufy is going to address it in the future…but has not publicly acknowledged this huge security flaw.

There are a couple of threads on here that discuss this specific problem…and anyone who finds out about it is not too happy with Eufy’s lack of communication or sense of urgency to fix this identified issue.

Im aware of that huge bug! Eufy replied to me in that matter aswell. They told me this isnt a bug this is by design and they wont change it. I’m hopping the bad guys are not aware of this.
However I was talking about the case of the camera beeing stolen and taken out of the range of the Homebase 2. Or the camera being destroyed.
The support told me that I can not see any footage in those cases aswell. That would be pure bullshit and I can not believe someone would design a security camera like this?