Security Made Simple: How do I choose the right storage option for my security?

Hi, eufy fans,

Grab some popcorn and sit back, it’s time to learn about STORAGE!:popcorn::beers:

Keeping a secure record of all your precious moments is a valuable thing. This is why choosing the right storage option is so important. We are here to help answer some of your most pressing questions when it comes to storage.

We are releasing this 2-part series to guide you through which storage option is right for you.:school_satchel: For today’s installment, we will focus on Local Storage and why it remains our top pick for keeping your data safe and secure.

What storage options are available?

Typically there are 3 options when it comes to storage:

1. MicroSD card (local storage) - physical removable storage on the device that does not require an internet connection.
  2. Cloud storage - store your data so it can be accessed from any device via the internet.
  3. NAS storage - uses a private data storage server that is connected to a computer network.

Which storage option should I choose?

Local Storage (Recommended) :calling:

When it comes to eufy Security we tend to recommend MicroSD card storage for all of our devices, as we believe it to be the most secure method. If you already own a MicroSD card or are prepared to purchase one, local storage is the logical choice.

When choosing a MicroSD card try to ensure that the storage capacity is between 16G to 128G and that it has a Speed grade of Class 10 or above. You can see which MicroSD cards we recommend using by going to: Help >Indoor Camera> Storage > what kind of MicroSD card can I use?

Cloud Storage :thought_balloon:

We now also offer a cloud storage option for those who prefer to free up physical storage space and don’t mind paying for the privilege. If you feel like this is something you might be interested in you can enjoy a 30-day free trial for your Indoor Cam. If you decide to give cloud storage a test run please consider the following:

• Each video uploaded to the cloud will be kept for 14 DAYS.
  • If at any point you voluntarily stop the subscription during the trial period, it will immediately become invalid and cannot be activated again.
  • If you are enjoying the trial experience, you can choose to subscribe to the paid service. After subscribing, the paid packages take effect immediately. The storage period of newly uploaded videos depends on the package you subscribe to.

NAS Storage :open_file_folder:

NAS storage is supported(Except for Doorbell and Floodlight now). However by opting for this option you cannot view video records via the eufy Security app.

Why should I use a MicroSD card?

By choosing local storage your data is in your hands. When you use a MicroSD card you can enjoy the following benefits:

• No monthly fee :laughing:
  • Supports continuous recording
  • Military-grade data encryption
  • It does not rely on your Wifi network

MicroSD Card Maintenance & Usage Tips

To ensure the optimal performance of your MicroSD card please consider the following:

• When inserting or removing the MicroSD card it is best to power the device OFF

• Replace the MicroSD card after ONE YEAR to prevent the risk of video loss

• If you receive the " :warning:No Storage Path " prompt, there might be something wrong with your SD card. Check whether it can be successfully connected to the computer.

An Overview of Your Options

You can use this guide and all the information above to help you decide which storage option is best for you.:clap:

For our second installment, we will dive into :thought_balloon: CLOUD STORAGE so keep an eye out over the coming days!

If you have any further questions with regards to storage options please feel free to contact us or comment below.

Our customer service team can be found via the following channels:

1)eufy Security app->Help->Live chat/Call us/Feedback

2)Ask your questions here at the bottom of this post

3)Send us an email: support@eufylife.com

We will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your support.

eufy Security Team

:face_with_monocle:For more official tutorials, please click here!

18 Likes

Great information @Yanyee1

This is great information and tutorials! When are we getting the USB storage turned on?! The home base would give us a wider range of storage options.

53 Likes

Excellent article on selection of storage @Yanyee1 :clap:
I personally use SD card for now, later planning to move to a NAS system but that’s far in the future when I get some time to set it up.

3 Likes

@Ice4 What would you suggest for the NAS hardware?

3 Likes

I’m yet to spend some time to validate cost, security, accessibility etc., but there are several out-of-the shelf systems to chose from…

Few examples for instance:
https://www.newegg.ca/Desktop-NAS/SubCategory/ID-124

2 Likes

I don’t understand how you can say this is the most secure method? The SD card can be taken out of the camera, never to be seen again. Now you have absolutely no evidence against a criminal, and no way of stopping this.

An NAS can be hidden in your home, and made very hard to find. A criminal may take the SD card, or the whole camera, but you still have video footage of them doing so.

An SD card with an NAS is the best setup, because you can then have security from the NAS, and be able to view the video clips through the SD card.

Cloud imo is the worst option because of the price, as well as security issues with storing on the cloud.

19 Likes

@Ice4 Don’t spend that kind of Monet NewEgg is a ripoff. I have link below much better price :v:t2:

4 Likes

These should not be mutually exclusive. I like that my Eufy doorbell writes to sd. However there are reasons most doorbell cameras have security locking screws… they get stolen along with all the footage. Cloud storage is great but is dependent on internet connectivity which isnt always available. NAS has cost and infrastructure requirements but is only dependent on local network regardless if internet is up or not. I purchased the eufy doorbell to replace nest because of crazy nest yearly cost $50 per camera and I had 4. I was under the impression that eufy had nas / rstp functionality as its help even said it did. Upon opening a support case inwas told they dont but will within a couple months. My end goal is for eufy doorbell to write to local sd, stream RSTP to my QNAP. Which I will also use to send alert and clip video to cloud storage.

If the promised RTSP functionality doesnt materialized it will go the way of nest. I want options and capabilities with these devices. NEST / Google lost me when they graveyard Works With Nest and tried to force everyone to their solution.

Consider the risk of such a single capability device. Sd only gets stolen - Fail. Cloud only- sever goes down or forced lowered resolution (nest / covid) - Fail. NAS only - lost in fire, robbery, storage failure - fail. Combine all 3 or 2 of the three and you have a resilient capable solution.

RTSP - on door bell please…

14 Likes

The SD card is NOT in the camera it is in the Base system.

9 Likes

I’m in agreement, i think the eufy hardware is absolutely great hardware and reasonably priced. However I too was disappointed to find the doorbell and floodlight didn’t have rtsp streaming like their other devices. I have regained a little hope with this article saying they don’t have it “now”. This makes me believe they are at least considering it. If they do it will become best of breed in my experience.

14 Likes

Depends on the device.

In the indoor cameras that just launched for preorder, it’s in the camera itself.

1 Like

Thanks @LlewellynPhotography

1 Like

Did that mean the indoor cameras do not work with the base station?

@Robert54 I believe it’s the newest indoor 2K cams that the SD card is being referred to.

I have no idea if it will or not. A good question for @Mengdi or @AnkerSupport

But it won’t come with a base station.

3 Likes

Not so… I have Eufy doorbell. No base station and by default (if fact right now only) storage is SD . Which is a problem. RTSP would resolve.

1 Like

While the Doorbell, floodlight cam, Indoor camera are inependent, and come with SD card storage options, been hearing from eufy that they are working to integrate these with Homebase.
That will open up ton of options.

5 Likes

Hey guys!

To address your concern, the IndoorCam supports connected to the Router directly for recording.

The good news is the Homebase connection will be support in June/July.

Hope this information helps. If you need further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us at any time.

4 Likes