UK Transformer recommendations for doorbell

Support recommended this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Navaris-Door-Bell-Transformer-12V/dp/B07J2NWYC4/

However, I bought this as it’s slightly cheaper: https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-8-24v-8va-bell-transformer-module/8707p?_requestid=238697

It’s working fine.

2 Likes

Hi, as it’s been two weeks now, how’s the transformer from screwfit doing please?
I’ve only just received my doorbell this weekend, I’m now need to sort out the new transformer to replace the old existing transformer and then a electrician.

If you are using a transformer just to keep the doorbell battery charged (i.e. no chime unit connected), you must make sure that the indoor chime “existing doorbell chime” option is turned off. If it’s left on, the doorbell will connect the two power wires when the button is pressed, shorting out the transformer.

2 Likes

This is good advice, I was seeing other posts indicating this would be a fire hazard unless you have a resister inline.

thanks for this thread I was looking for the same. I have a Friedland 8v 1A transformer (worked fine with ring) but its not got enough juice for Eufy… I was looking for alternatives…

interesting, i just checked the two above and they are both 8V/1A, so no different to what I have now…

Any ideas why my Eufy 2k doorbell is going flat?

Hey craig,

I have a 8VA one already and the battery was going flat… Ive looked at that one and its also a 8VA one…
I have seen support also recommend a 30VA one (like this onehttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Vemer-VN319000-Transformer-Service-Continuous/dp/B00F4QGVIA/ref=psdc_1938320031_t3_B00F4QZENS?fbclid=IwAR0Yv6tgOxcFZCVx0zf7nB9B0oXFpP383h8cF5ZiZdN_zNWCN_I50fNJq_s) which is big…

HOWEVER, I wonder if the issue is that I had the setting to “ring” the indoor chime turned on… As this would “short” the psu it might force it to cut out…

Hi
I would be interested to know how you have mounted the screwfix transformer ?
Have you placed it into an enclosure or just screwed it to the wall ?
The other thing is what voltage output are you using 8/12/24 ?
Thank you

I’m sure many have found themselves here and you guys are fed up of answering transformer questions by now… there really should be some clearer advice available somewhere!

Currently we have an old battery chime that is wired to the mains.

I have the wired version ready to install.

In the consumer unit There is an 8v transformer. Nice and easy to fit a new 16-24 one.

My question is on the wiring in the chime. Which terminals do I use the bypass cable on?! Pic attached any help much appreciated

image|668x500

If it helps chime is attached to 1 and 4 transformer to 1 and 3

Sorry for late reply.
I found that it will stop charging if the connection is exposed to the weather due to deterioration of the wires. I recommend that you either use waterproof tape or a bit of sealant to the exposed wires.

It has not been a problem since I did this.

Onto the wall and at 24v

It didn’t work, I’m sending back the doorbell as it doesn’t work for me

I am thinking that the jumper should go like this for mine?

I was looking at this one. What is the quality like? Does it buzz or give off heat? Is it literally a plug in the wall and the other end into the door bell? Thanks.

Hi all

I thought I’d place a post here as there seems to be very little info on UK transformers and Eufy compatibility so hopefully this will assist some people in the future.

See thread

Like this:

A bit late and you’re probably sorted by now.

It’s a plug in, doesn’t get hot and works fine. No buzz.
It’s straight connection to the video bell.

It seems to revert to battery after an update (?) but unplugging fixes it back to normal.

I have this exact transformer (BG Cub1) but my doorbell won’t charge (shows as wired but after a couple of days it’s dead).
Been in contact with support and they’ve told me that that transformer is no good for this as it’s 8VA and when plugged into the 24V it supplies ~28V.
Can someone please explain how this transformer works for some but not all?
And what’s a transformer that does work with this and can be hardwired?

1 Like

Had the same problem of the bell running out of battery power after a few days despite the fact that it was connected to an AC transformer with about a 12V ac supply. Have carried out 2 changes (1) increased the power output from the transformer to 24V and (2) I think more importantly TURNED OFF ‘Existing Doorbell Chime’ under the ‘Indoor Chime’ option in ‘Doorbell settings’. This appears to have cured the problem. I now see the power symbol on the Doorbell screen while previously it showed a battery symbol. Hopefully, this may help you if you haven’t cured the problem yet.

Hi all, like many, I spent ages trying to source a decent quality transformer suitable to run my T8210 2K doorbell here in the UK. It is only being used with the Homebase and did not require to be integrated with any existing doorbell so all I needed was an appropriate AC transformer to power it, some upgraded bell wire and to install the doorbell itself. Fortunately, my Consumer Unit is right next to the front door, so with only a fairly short cable run required, I wanted to go for a din rail mounted transformer that I could fit in an enclosure next to the CU and forget about it. I ended up on eBay and went for a genuine Ring doorbell transformer AUBT1-24 (For the T8210, it had to be this 1st generation one as it’s AC - the 2nd generation Ring was DC). They aren’t always listed, but they do crop up. I wired it up using new upgraded cable between the transformer and doorbell and used very small ring crimps on the doorbell terminations. I did not fit a resistor and can report it’s been working flawlessly for two months. On the devices page, a green plug icon is visible and I get no heat from the transformer. Hope this helps somebody looking to do a similar installation.

Top man