Updated Official Statement

Or how about the Ring catching on fire.

I will say that if anybody got any vidoe of me in my pajamas, you can try to sell them but I do not think they will get you that much :rofl:

3 Likes

I want to return all my 14 cameras I purchased. There is no proof of End-to-end encryption. If people can see other cameras Eufy might have full control of people’s account.
How to proceed a return since it has been purchase on Amazon last year? You should honor returns pass the return date. I feel cheated with this false representation of end to end encryption.

2 Likes

See they can’t even clarify a simple question.

1 Like

Let me know how that goes man. I have 14 cameras and a doorbell that I want to send it back

2 Likes

I am also not happy with their initial response, 2 line instruction, no personal notification/email. I had to find this out from the internet! I have 3 plugs going into the base, USB for charging devices, ethernet and power, which one? Log out of security app? Is that the phone app or web app? Not everyone works in IT. Even though 712 users were affected. EVERYONE was affected by this in one way or another. I too cannot return my camera and door bell, but I can leave a 1 star review on Amazon.

1 Like

Everyone, please go back and read the initial post. Eufy added more details and what they plan to do. So have a read and drop a comment.

2 Likes

@Tank A much better response. Obviously the tone and language was probably written by somebody with a Relations and Media Communications background, lol.

Overall, I really hope Eufy realizes they need to do better. Even before this security breach, they have several software and app issues. They need to go back to the drawing board and focus on improving their software department and hiring qualified and experienced individuals who can plan two steps ahead…instead of flying the plane while they build it. Or a company that just wants to push out new products without addressing their reported problems. I won’t hold my breath, but I really do hope this mistake will help them improve their priorities moving forward.

2 Likes

I have seen numerous claims about this.
Who ever said eufy products are end-to-end encrypted?

@Sobrevilla I do sometimes feel the software quality is lacking, yes. Going fast on the hardware development is cool, as long as the software quality keeps up also. Maybe this is the wake-up call they needed, time will tell…

3 Likes

@John0 Agreed, their software needs to be much much better…they’ve done well on the hardware side IMO.

This breach was at another level. So hopefully this will be that wake up call to those in the ivory towers to reevaluate. No one in their right mind wants this kind of publicity, because it will effect their bottom dollar. How they move forward with their ACTIONS (not just announcements) will give us a better idea of how serious they are about their overall security.

Like someone mentioned in here earlier…I didn’t get an email or a pop-up in my app telling me about this security breach and the next steps. They’re responding because they HAVE to because of the attention they received in the media. Not because they’re being proactive and really care. Heck, I’ll see another ad before I get a message about their security breach, LOL!!

I believe @Leo35 is implying that if 712 users had their cameras controlled by others…the possibility of Eufy or any “bug” allowing this to actually have happened in the first place, shows a lack of “security” or encryption on their end. I get that Eufy is referring to “All stored data and account information is encrypted.” Ok, so no one can access my recorded videos, BUT accessing my cameras is just as bad. Now we know that for over a year it was possible that our cameras were not fully secure on THEIR end. Hopefully the “action” items they described in their announcement will actually solve the problems and prevent anyone (even Eufy) from accessing our cameras in the future. Like you said, time will tell.

1 Like

If you don’t want any chance of this happening, you should stay away from ANY cloud service or anything that transmits data through the internet. Today, the question is not if it’s going to happen, it’s about when will it happen, my approach to this is simple, keep cameras OUTSIDE, if you don’t want anyone snooping into your privacy, don’t place any of this inside.

On Eufy’s side, you have to give them the benefit of the doubt, what really matters is how fast they addressed the issue.

4 Likes

Removed the cameras from my app. Removed the Homebase. Pitched them in the garbage.
Closing my account here. Good luck to you all.

Hell of a lot of butt hurt whingers here! You’re all moaning about not getting an apology - which means you clearly can’t read.

“…We understand that we need to build trust again with you, our customers. We are incredibly sorry and promise to take all the necessary measures to prevent this from ever happening again…”

Get over yourself fools.

If you don’t like their stuff, go buy Ring crap. Bye! :wave:

1 Like

@kps4 I think you’re a little late to the party and taking the criticism out of context. Those who were disappointed and upset by Eufy is because of their initial response, which did not include much information or an apology to those who were effected. This lead to individuals like myself getting “butt hurt” and thus began the “whiney” fest, lol.

Seriously, they did crap job addressing their security breach and hoped it went unnoticed. Which it didn’t. Their second attempt from someone with a Media and Communications background released a much better statement which should have been posted the first time! Just because Eufy meets your standards doesn’t mean others don’t have their own expectation from a “security” brand. This isn’t Twitter where you bash others for having their own opinion. I own way too many Eufy cameras/sensors and will always use this forum to educate and/or leave feedback on their products and performance. I will always be objective to the best of my ability and am not a fanboy or someone who drinks the Eufy Kool-Aid. I have supported them when they do good, but will ask for improvements when they fall short. When you F$&k up, then man up and be accountable from the beginning. Don’t wait until 10 media outlets start reporting it before you realize you could have done more.

Does Eufy want to be a company like Ring…OR does it want to corner the security market and be the best available option. Companies like Amazon did not get where it is at today without putting their customer’s needs at the forefront. Those who don’t or can’t take constructive criticism will always blame others for their mistakes. Eufy’s first response was to blame the “bug”, their second response showed accountability, empathy, reported those who were effected, and what they plan to do moving forward. It’s a BIG difference in how a worldwide company should communicate after a major security breach. I’m just glad you’re not operating their Twitter handle.

4 Likes

@kps4 if you click the pencil :pencil2: top right corner you can see what a post originally said so stop whinging about the whingers

3 Likes

This is total b.s. My wife was home today and had someone say hello over our indoor pan tilt zoom camera. All of my cameras firmware is up to date. They have obviously not fixed the issue and I now have an entire camera system with indoor outdoor doorbell and deadbolt that I cannot trust.

2 Likes

Have you got a secure password & 2fa enabled?