First second(s) of eufyCam2 video seem overexposed

This could be the same thing (but reverse) as the OP (me) reported, but the explanation @chefrd gives cannot be correct, as my camera does this (since a few weeks) repeatedly and over and over again, not that this is due to changed circumstances (from night to day or reverse).

How come @chefrd knows this so sure and even calls this “normal auto white balance behavior”? Everyone knows about cameras balancing their exposure to light in a way that images are not too dark or too light. The questions here are:

1. what is causing this seemingly “overexposure” for the first second(s)?
  2. how come that this behavior suddenly arose a few weeks ago (no updates during that time)?
  3. how can we get rid of it?

Nothing more, nothing less. Please, people with knowledge of the internals: where are you??

1 Like

That’s neither a solution, nor an answer to the questions.

LOL. Ok… let me rephrase… I don’t know anything for sure.

I do know my eufy cameras are taking longer to “adjust” recently. My other sec cameras (not eufy) don’t do this but they are wired and always on. If I reset a camera it will do the exact same behavior. Call it what you want.

This is what I DONT want:

Do battery cams have a hardware light sensor? I always assumed not … as my cameras will wake up in the morning still in night vision and then switch to color after a few seconds awake.

This was caused by an update on 22/12/20 at 15:55 ish, on my cameras. I’ve been back through the recordings and seen the difference between them. Previously, on recording, the camera started from a dark tint and adjusted the exposure to lighter, but you could still see the image fine during that adjustment. Now they seem to have changed it to start from a bright white and adjust to darker from that. But you can’t see the image through the white and the adjustment now takes far too long. Not good and they need to fix what they have broken imo.

I had a over exposure issue with one of my cams and reset fixed it. Have you done a reset?

Same issue here on 2x 2c cams. Been the same since they were installed around 3 weeks ago. Come on Anker…

I assume they have. They automatically switch between night and day mode. I don’t think that’s based on the local time, but rather on the amount of environmental light. I have no problems in night mode, but only during the day.

Yes I have, but that doesn’t help. Resetting a device to recover from a problem is not a solution, though, as it masks the symptom and does not address the root cause.

Just brought 4 x new cameras.
Have this issue too meaning it misses the trigger event.

They only switch modes after they wake up. Wouldn’t they already be switched to the correct mode if they had an external light sensor? If they did it would help eliminate some of the huge light adjustments when they turn on.

You’re possibly right, but that doesn’t solve the issue in any way. The absence or presence of such sensor and the (in)correct use of it might be related to the issue, though.

I informed Eufy support about this thread and asked them for a solution. They reported me that they’re busy with a software fix and that they could push this fix to my system, as a matter of test, before globally publishing it. I’m considering this.

1 Like

I can’t solve this. This is a forum. We talk here.

Our camera started doing this wash out as well just recently. And removing and re-adding the camera loses all your video from that camera. Big Flaw!!

This is ridiculous. The overexposure essentially means you miss the trigger event. Whatever that part update was, it caused this and the silence from Anker is embarrassing and disappointing. Fix it.

Last Wednesday I received a firmware update on my cameras. This issue seems resolved now. The only thing I cannot understand is WHY EUFY / ANKER DOESN’T CONTRIBUTE to threads like these.

This just started last month on only one of my EufyCam 2 cameras, but not on the other one. I’ve had the cameras for 9 or 10 months now and have never seen this before. The latest firmware update didn’t solve my issue on the one camera that this is happening with. I also took the camera down and fully charged it but that didn’t fix it either. Any ideas on what to do to fix it?

Exactly what happened with one of my three cameras. What firmware versions do you currently have on your cameras? Here: 2.7.2 / 1.0.88-20210105.

I had firmware pushed down to my system by eufy for my 2c to have the issue fix. It sort of does as now the white flash only comes up sometimes but it now impacts all my cameras rather than 2 out of 5 that was previously impacted. Today is second day on the new firmware. Will see whether the camera stabilise and stop giving me the white flash fully.