Saving Video to Folders

On Android device Eufy also creates app folder “/storage/emulated/0/Android/Data/com.oceanwing.battery.com/files/movies”.

Apparently when we download videos to the user location “/storage/emulated/0/movies/EufyVideoDir” a duplicate copy is left in “/storage/emulated/0/Android/Data/com.oceanwing.battery.com/files/movies”.

The fact that a cache might be used is not so weird but the caches should be cleared after download but that is not being done.

I have found copies of every video I have ever downloaded in the last six months from Eufy cams to my android device, over 700 files at over 1.5 GB sitting in the Eufy app directory even though they had been removed from the normal download folder and cleared from storage on the base.

Let’s run that again.

A copy of every single clip that I have ever downloaded onto my android device remains unsecured in the app directory on the device. The fact that access to that location requires root or administrative privilege is no excuse whatsoever. There is no way to rationalize downloaded security videos being left on the device like that, after all traces of them have been deleted elsewhere. This staggering oversight is wantonly irresponsible; videos which the user believe no longer exist still do exist and can be accessed on the android device; the internal storage on the android device accumulates large volumes of unnecessary material which would only be noticed if someone audits the drive as I did.

It should be noted that parallel to the files directory in this path “/storage/emulated/0/Android/Data/com.oceanwing.battery.com/files/movies”, there is a cache directory “/storage/emulated/0/Android/Data/com.oceanwing.battery.com/cache”. It would not surprise me if the UV act was downloading these cached copies to the wrong folder and then “deleting” them from the cache folder which never contained them.

Observed on 2 different devices running Stock Moto Android 10 and Android 11 OS. Goodness gracious, this app and the services behind it are not reasonably secure… Seriously how could anyone trust this mess. Anyhow, I did not come here just to flame although the flame is well supported and well deserved, the fact is that videos are stored in another location and even if users cannot readily see that location it this is very significant to them that there are copies of their videos lingering around when they think they are gone.

1 Like