Eufycam 2 Pro - terrible audio quality on certain firmware versions

I recently got a Eufycam 2 Pro camera that’s on firmware version 3.1.4. I have other Eufycam 2 Pro cameras purchased last year that are on firmware version 3.8.4., and all my cameras are on the same HomeBase 2. And I know someone else who has Eufycam 2 Pro cameras on firmware version 4.6.6. I understand from other threads (e.g. Eufycam 2 pro doesn't do firmware update higher as 3.8.4, http://community.anker.com/t/eufycam-2-pro-different-firmware-version-equal-cameras/91770) that all these different firmware versions for the Eufycam 2 Pro are due to different hardware components being used (e.g. chips).

My observation is that the cameras on firmware version 3.8.4 (the oldest purchased cameras) have the best audio quality. The recorded audio is fairly clear and it is not out of sync with live or recorded video. I have no audio issues with these cameras.

However, the cameras on firmware versions 3.1.4 and 4.6.6 have serious audio issues. For the camera on firmware 3.1.4, it seems the camera does not turn on its microphone until it detects a sound meeting a certain noise threshold. So during live viewing or in some recordings, there is no audio at all. I cannot hear for example normal background noise like the driving of cars, the sound of a bike or skateboard going by, or birds chirping. If someone gets close enough to the camera to talk, then audio is recorded, but the quality is not that good and has a lot of static noise. I have to raise my phone’s volume to its max to make out any sound. After the camera stops hearing noises, then the microphone gets turned off and I don’t hear any background noises. I also noticed that during live view or when viewing recordings from the app, there is a noticeable 1-2 seconds delay in the audio being out of sync with the video. But when I download recordings off the app and view those, the audio is not out of sync.

For the cameras on firmware 4.6.6, I don’t see the issue of the microphone being turned off by default like on 3.1.4 and it seems to always be on during live viewing or for recordings so there is background noise being recorded. But the audio quality is even worse than the cameras on 3.1.4. Normal conversations just a few feet away from the camera sound garbled and unintelligible. And again, I need to raise my phone’s volume to its max to hear anything. I’m not sure if these cameras have an audio sync issue like on the 3.1.4 cameras since the audio quality is so bad.

Resetting the 3.1.4 and 4.6.6 cameras (i.e. removing the device from the app and adding it back) doesn’t help with these audio issues.

Does anyone observe similar audio issues with cameras on firmware 3.1.4 or 4.6.6? The newer Eufycam 2 Pro cameras being sold seem to be on these firmware versions. I wish there was a guaranteed way to get a new camera on 3.8.4 instead of the other firmwares. My 3.8.4 cameras also have the privacy zone feature, which the other firmwares don’t support. It seems Eufy has cheapened out on the newer versions of the Eufycam 2 Pro with components that are not as good as earlier versions.

2 Likes

My Eufycam 2 Pro on 3.1.4 got upgraded to 4.0.9 recently, but still no improvement with the audio issues.

I notice when doing a live view on this camera, when the view first comes up, for a split second, the audio sounds fine but then goes dead. It’s like the microphone on the camera gets turned on and then turns off almost immediately.

Same issue here. My older cameras on 3.8.4 audio works great. These new cams with different chipsets, I have 4 of them. All are crap when it comes to audio quality and night time detection. More than likely I will be returning these.

I actually returned the camera on firmware 3.1.4/4.0.9 to get a new replacement in order to see if I was just unlucky to get a camera that happened to have a bad microphone. Nope, the brand new replacement (that was also initially on 3.1.4 and got upgraded to 4.0.9) also has bad audio quality and all the same issues I experienced with the camera I returned.

Looks like older cameras on 3.8.4 are really the best versions of the Eufycam 2 Pro and probably have to go to the used market to find one now.

I have just installed a 3 camera system. The audio is all distorted and horrible. Way too loud too.
Has there been any plans on fixing it?
Mines are on 4.6.8, and they upgraded automatically.