Major Flaw - Delete Homebase data via camera

Thanks for the dissapointing update. Did’nt the firmware update state the reason and contents.? Complete unprofessonal if they did’nt.

I’m moving to a property that needs more security but I won’t be buying any more cameras if the footage can be deleted by any thief. I may as well leave the door open so they can come in and steal the Homebase themselves.

1 Like

Some good news if you will, they are actively working on this issue and one thing they are working on and possibly doing is a remote storage box which is only limited to the hard drive size you choose to install. Now it’s currently in the concept stage and they are gathering feedback on it so please open your app, click on the message box and then systems and you will see a survey for all upcoming concepts.
In the meantime here is the excerpt for this product

1 Like

@Tank So Eufy’s future concept is to have their consumers buy another “storage box” to keep their videos stored “safely”…similar to an existing NAS (Network Attached Storage) device? Then what’s the point of the Homebase 2?!?

So it sounds like their “engineer” team has yet to solve this specific reported issue and fix their biggest flaw…OR maybe because fixing it doesn’t turn a profit, but buying a new “storage box” will. I really wish Eufy’s design team would show the same interest in addressing our community’s reported issues like they do when they reach out to us for input on their FUTURE products. It’s pretty obvious where their priorities are at moving forward.

3 Likes

OK, rather concerned that a thief can wipe security footage by pressing the Sync button. I was going to buy the 2C Pro kit, but until a confirmed fix is in place, that’s a dealbreaker.

1 Like

I got an update on the Sync issue this week from the CS Manager. She expects that the fix for the Sync issue will take 2-3 months more to put in place. With their original estimate of 2 months being almost up that means it will take 5 months to fix this issue, if they meet that estimate. Sounds to me like they need some new developers.

I am aware that the Sync issue isn’t something that’s easy to fix as it impacts hardware and software and needs to act as a complete system reset to clear any hung processes. I also agree with @Sobrevilla that forcing customers to buy another product to keep their data safe isn’t an answer to this issue. Eufy needs to spend time fixing all the crap firmware they have produced lately and the Sync issue should be top of the list.

It isn’t a security product if you can steal it without any trace of the person doing the deed. It doesn’t even help if you have overlapping fields of vision if they just move on to the next one and push the sync button on it. And don’t forget, the entry sensors will be frozen at last value if they are Synced, so no relief there either.

All in all, a pretty disappointing showing for Eufy. It certainly doesn’t look like they give a shit that they are putting their customers at risk.

4 Likes

How disappointing. That response from Eufy / @Tank is weak and so patronising it’s ridiculous. Not addressing the issue and treating customers like idiots.

@preset You seem pretty clued up on the workings of the system (more so than me and probably Eufy’s engineers) and I get the requirement for a hardware reset button to clear hung processes, but is there any reason this can’t be done from the Homebase rather than the cameras? There’s already a reset button on the Homebase and although I realise it would reset all cameras at the same time, surely that would be preferable? I can’t envisage it would be something that needs doing very often, if at all.

1 Like

Don’t think you could trust an external reset to clear hung processes. One of the things that usually hang are communications processes. They need the local reset to fix issues that come up when coms are hung and to get back to a known state. That doesn’t mean that all the records associated to that device should be cleared out. They should be able to separate out the reset issue with clearing the records on the device.

From my testing, I found that if someone just steals the camera and walks away, the event records are still retained. The camera will still show as unable to communicate, but event history can be viewed and downloaded. Events aren’t actually cleared until the camera is Sync’ed while in communication range of your system.

If Eufy made this a priority, they could fix and test it in a lot less time than its taken so far. Maybe if this issue was spread around to the reviewers and the different forums on Reddit they would take more interest. When it starts to cost them real money and customers don’t buy their new gear, that probably has the same issues, they might wake up.

3 Likes

Sounds like it should be a pretty simple software tweak rather than a huge overhaul then. This isn’t an issue for other manufacturer’s so it’s not exactly reinventing the wheel. You’ve both hit the nail on the head regarding priorities and this issue clearly isn’t high on the list.

Regarding getting reviewers involved to spread the word, I actually approached a couple of guys whose YouTube reviews of the EufyCam system swayed me to buy it in the first place. I highlighted the issue and pointed them in the direction of this thread so they could see for themselves that I wasn’t a single voice wanting to rant. I only received a brief response from one of them and neither were interested in taking it any further. I’m not sure how willing any of these reviewers would be to ‘rock the boat’ with the companies whose products they receive for free to make their content.

I definitely agree Eufy would have to take notice if a high profile reviewer made this issue more widely known though. You’ve been more patient than anyone with this, but it feels like the end of line now unless something more damning can force them into action.

2 Likes

You can be mad at me or whatever, but understand this I am just a moderator in that I do NOT work for Eufy and am only an intermediate person passing on information provided to me.

Also everyone here needs to understand that this is a community forum, meaning that it is mostly peer to peer interactions so most knowledge and information is coming from one another. Yes they get information posted on here, but you will rarely if ever see them post here aside from @Mengdi so if you want direct contact and information about whatever specifics your interested in then contact Eufy Directly

EMAIL

CALL Them

US

+1 (800) 988 7973
Mon-Fri 6:15AM-5PM (PT)

UK
+44 (0) 1604 936 200
Mon-Sun 6AM-2PM (GMT)

DE
+49 (0) 69 9579 7960
Mon-Fri 6AM-11AM

JP
+81 03 4455 7823
Mon-Fri 9AM-5PM

CN
+86 400 0550 036
Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM

UAE

+971 8000320817 (Arabic&English)
Sun-Thu 9AM-5:30PM (GMT+4)

KSA
+966 8008500030 (Arabic&English)
Sun-Thu 8AM-4:30PM (GMT+3)

KW
+965 22069086 (Arabic&English)
Sun-Thu 8AM-4:30PM (GMT+3)

Middle East & Africa
+971 42463266
Sun-Thu 9AM-5:30PM

Egypt
+20 8000000826
Sun-Thu 7AM-3:30PM

5 Likes

I am not sure I’d categorize it as a simple software tweak, but I’m pretty sure it’s fixable. That may involve some underlying changes to the data model and changing what happens when the camera first communicates with the homebase. But given the severity of the issue and the fact that their new products will probably inherit the same design flaw, they need to put the effort into fixing it.

At some point, something bad will happen to someone and the lawyers will get involved. That’s always a losing situation for everyone. Better to fix it now.

4 Likes

@Tank For me this is not personal, so please don’t take any of my previous comments as such. I just want transparency, accountability, and for EUFY to fix this reported issue.

I get that you’re role on this community is as a Moderator, and we appreciate your input in many areas. Unfortunately, you are also one of their voices and report information on THEIR behalf, because in reality they have no presence on here…other than to ask us for feedback on their NEW products, LOL!! Yeah, cause that practice is pretty cowardly in my opinion.

In regards to “customer service”, I’ve reached out several times with no help from Cherry or Nina. My favorite was when I emailed them to report that I was having problems after I updated their app on my iPhone. I made it clear that my iOS app was having several issues with the videos lagging/stopping and my wife’s iOS app (which she had not updated) was working fine. Nina asked “If possible, please try to download the videos on an Andriod device to see how it works.” WTF kinda answer is that, LOL!! :man_facepalming:t2: Thus my frustration with their support. It’s a joke!

I realize Eufy is dropping the ball. Not you! In the meantime, just keep your head up and we’ll hope they provide you with better answers and support.

2 Likes

@tank Not mad at you at all. Apologies if it has come across that way. I understand that you do not work for Eufy and no-one is blaming you. However, as has already been pointed out, you are one of the voices of Eufy and as such, when you post info from them you must expect to be open to comment on the info you provide. It’s not personal…you can simply feed those comments back to Eufy.

I’m not actually a Eufy customer, so I can’t contact customer support. I was a Eufy customer when I started this thread, but I returned the product for this very reason, so I’m now just following developments as an interested party.

It’s clear that Eufy’s lack of action / response is creating frustration on all sides. Fingers crossed for all of you that are customers. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

@Tank Maybe it would be a good idea to make the second paragraph of your post a sticky on this site. Too many come here expecting that the company monitors this site and will get back to them. That and not using search before posting are my 2 biggest gripes. If users saw a sticky if they were coming here for the first time, it might save another post about a beat to death issue and keep the content here more interesting.

3 Likes

So I called Eufy in the UK today and the lady I spoke refused to log any form of ticket, said there was no escalation path and made a vague promise she would pass on my concerns to the development team. She stated it would only be addressed in a future generation of the product and mentioned a timeframe of years(!) not months or even weeks for a resolution.

Completely shocked at the level of “support” offered. This is not Anker level support - I’m going to try and contact Anker tomorrow as suspect they are unaware what is going on.

5 Likes

I’m not really that surprised to be reading this. Most baby monitor products likely take security more seriously. I’m using RTSP feature for streaming to an on-site NAS which is then synced to cloud storage. Marginally better, still not without many points of failure. Increased complexity. What have I done?! :thinking::joy:

1 Like

The phone and chat support from Eufy isn’t very good at anything technical. You get a higher level support by sending an email. My interaction with the Customer Support Manager, Angela has always been via email with an associated ticket #90819924 for the issue.

Per her email of May 5, they are working on this issue and plan a firmware upgrade to fix within a 2-3 months. Of course, the issue has been known for around 3 months already, but they have only acknowledged it in the last 2 months. That’s when myself and several other users escalated the issue. We sent them detailed test data describing the issue and showed that it effects most of their security product line.

4 Likes

I received an email back from their support team. No timescales or guarantee but get the impression we’re talking months not days or weeks for a firmware update in future. The issue was acknowledged as a known issue.

5 Likes

Tbh not something I’ve tried
Have had 1 camera where the sync button must of been pressed & I had to add it again but didn’t think about the lack of recordings
Also had a contact sensor stop notifying & had to add again

Even if they can’t stop the devices being removed or can’t do it quickly, the app should notify you stating that something has just been removed, that should be a quick & easy implementation for now until something better is put in place

As for eufy not improving the current system & bringing out a new one, that was a major complaint before, the original system had plenty of issues & missing promised features & rather than sort them they brought out the E then the 2 & 2c
All they say is thanks for the suggestion, we’ve passed it on to the engineering team

At least on the old eufy section of the Anker forum staff seemed a little more involved & responsive

Also the 8TB storage box would be a waste of time with this system, it’s that heavily compressed it’ll store 100 years worth of recordings, it’ll only make sense if you add the option to reduce compression

My 2 homebases

The 64GB one I’m sure has had way more events but has had cameras disconnected & re-paired a few times so guess it’s only counting the viewable ones
The 16GB one only has 1 camera & there’s an 8mp PoE camera watching the same area, 64GB saves 10-14 days depending on activity on the other camera

I have nothing under systems.